This is the picture I used to start class. Students are asked to write the first question that comes to mind and then a more thoughtful question.
Some of my favorite questions today were:
- How many green skittles were there altogether?
- How much money did this cost before taxes?
- How long did/would it take someone to eat all of those skittles?
- Why did they choose capital letters?
- How many packages of skittles are there?
I also want to brag on my freshman. They have been doing well with working independently- not being clingy or needy and only asking questions when they don’t understand. I can’t usually say that about ninth grade but it’s nice to see.